March 16, 2010

Marie Claire: Fashion or Folly?

Ok...so here's something super-positive.....why I hate Marie Claire magazine.

NOT ENOUGH FASHION. I feel like there is so little fashion, and to much editorial stories about life. Blah!! Who wants to read about life in a fashion magazine? Sitting right next to my keyboard is the Marie Claire October 2009 issue, featuring Drew Barrymore and Ellen Page adorned in sunshine-yellow garments. I do have to say, the photograph is very nice and I love the fact that they used a grey backdrop instead of a white. As you flip though the first 15 pages you'll find the usual advertisements for hairspray, brands, stores and makeup. As you go further in, you'll find stuff you would expect in a fashion magazine. Fashion. But it's not until shortly after, you'll find disturbing images that should not even be presented in the most worldly of fashion magazines. Editorial columns on places in Africa where women are forced to be fat, botched cosmetic surgery jobs, disturbing images of women's full deformed breasts and much more. I will never buy another Marie Claire magazine again. I don't care if Audrey Hepburn is on the cover. A big disappointment, but trust me. Its such a waste of $3.50.